Home :: School :: News :: Rusheen :: Calendar :: Parents Association :: Documents :: Contact

Rusheen N.S. was built in 1884 and opened in 1885 . The land was donated by the then landlord, Captain Woodley. The stones used in the actual building were drawn from Woodleys by horse and cart. The major craftsman involved was a local man, John Cronin. He was helped by the Coakleys from Rahalisk and other labourers. At this time the best of the land was owned by the gentry, e.g. The Woodleys who were in Aghinagh since Ralf Woodley bought Leads House in 1640. They owned many of the townlands around including Rusheen, Knockglass and Deelish. The Rev. James Gollock owned Inchileach and Coolkisha. Coopers owned Aughinida. The Rev. John Pyne owned all Derryroe and most of Kilberrihert. The first record of a school in Rusheen is 1826. It was a thatched cabin built of stone and mud mortar.

The pupils paid 1/8 to 4/- per quarter. There were up to 107 pupils in the school. The next record in 1835 states that there were four schools in Aghinagh Parish, an infant day school, a weekday school for Catholics, a weekday school for Protestants and a Protestant Sunday School. On the 5th January 1883, a grant of £306 was authorised for the building of a school in Rusheen. The actual cost was £459. The school was built in 1884 and John Ambrose was appointed principal on the 6th April, 1885 on a salary of £35 per year.

The school was opened as Rusheen Male School and Rusheen Female School, but these were recognised as a mixed school from the 1st January, 1906. When the school was opened, the population of the area was much bigger than it is now. The structure of the school remained the same from the 1880s to the 1970s. It had two classrooms, a gravel yard and outside toilets. However, a lot of new development has taken place in the 1980s and 1990s. A new roof has been put on, walls replastered, floors replaced, a new toilet block has been added on to the back of the school, a storage heating system installed, additional playground bought and the gravel yard tarmaced.

In 2004 and 2008, two extensions were added. The school now has four classrooms, a learning support room, a resource room, a staff room, an office and a tarmacked playground. More recently a garden has been developed, featuring raised beds for fruit and vegetables, flower beds, a lawn, a pergola, a bridge over the stream, benches, trees & shrubs, and walkways. Pupils love planting vegetables in springtime and harvesting them later on.